Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wasp attack


Yesterday afternoon, Nettus and I were figuring out how we wanted our trees to grow in the garden, when I reached out for the wrong branch. A wasp came out of nowhere and attacked me, stinging me at least twice (although it felt like five...).

Thinking it was a bee (we have a bee nest in the old acacia outside our gate) and having never been stung by a bee before, I called my sister in law just to make sure I was not having an allergic reaction. But as I was speaking to her, the pain spread creatively throughout my body, my breathing got heavier and all I could think of was by great longing to fall asleep. I started to cry when Nettus and Renate told me that I had to keep awake until the doctor came!

The adventure - which one must call if it one wants to see it from the positive side - ended up with me getting the most painful shot of antidote I have ever received (Nettus has firmly stated that by the size of the needle used, she intends to avoid all wasps stings in the future, and if she ever gets stung, she will deny it ever happened) but it was worth it, because within minutes, my heart started beating normally again and I suddenly got an overdose of energy. Which I made up for this morning, sleeping until eleven o'clock... Mmmmm.... :-)

Isthar

9 comments:

Tauratinzwe said...

Glad you pulled through OK. Sorry the reaction was so bad.

I once got stung by a bee in Zimbabwe and couldn't go into that part of the yard for a week afterwards. Every time I went out the door on that side of the house the whole swarm came after me. They ignored everyone else. Before that sting, they didn't bother me (even crawled on me without hostility). Some pheremone must have been injected with the venom and until it dispersed, I was bee bait.

Keep away from bees also.

Hanna Grönberg said...

Ta med sprutor från Sverige vettja!

Ugo Daniels said...

Wow, thank God it wasn't that serious. Glad you're back in great health now. Cheers!!

Beaman said...

Are the wasps a different type to the ones we're used to in Northern Europe? That sounded scary. Glad you're okay. :)

photogchic said...

Glad you are OK! Ouch!! I stepped on a wasp once and he stung me twice. I still have a brown dot on my foot where he got me. It felt like I stepped on a knife...nasty little creatures aren't they!

Avio said...

Please check out the first chapter of my novel at my blog. Please leave a comment.

LJB said...

OK, many days passed since your wasp sting experience and nothing else blogged. Coincidence or something for us to worry about??? I hope you are well and healthy and busy. A close family friend died from anaphylactic shock after wasp stings. It is a serious situation!

pamelastitch said...

LOL!!!

Ishtar said...

Hi guys! No need to worry - have just been working around the clock lately, accumulating a lot of overtime... But it did take me two days again to feel "on top of it" again! Now I'm doing well, just spent a full day in the bush...